Flying back from Madrid, our flight was delayed for 2 hours. We met some nice folks at the airport who were also on their way back to Houston. Two biologists/scientists (one of whom is a professor at Rice) and a gentleman who owned a cosmetics factory. It was good to have someone to talk to and pass the time in the airport.

Our initial flight was to Newark where we would change planes and then continue to Houston. Due to the delay we had to make arrangements for another connecting flight.

We cleared customs in Newark and the had to re-clear security. We had just enough time to get on the plane and come to Houston. All told it was just under 24 hours total travel time with the early arrival to the airport, the delay, connecting flight and cab ride home.

Upon arrival to the house everything was right where it was supposed to be. We’re so lucky to have had our good friend Jim keeping an eye on the place and coming over a few times a week to water the plants and feed the fish. It also appears that he did not rent the house out to vagabonds, hippies or musicians in our absence which is always a plus. There’s nothing worse than coming home from an extended vacation to to find someone subletting you residence.

I can’t even describe how nice it was to lay down in our own bed.

The next day we got up and went to collect the birds. They seem no worse for the wear and tear and things here at the house are pretty much back to normal.

I’m still jet-lagged a bit and am struggling to get my internal clock re-synched with U.S. time. I’m sure I’ll be right as rain soon and am especially glad we gave ourselves a few days at home after the trip before going back to work.

Home again, home again, jiggety-jig
Tagged on:

One thought on “Home again, home again, jiggety-jig

  • October 29, 2007 at 7:03 am

    I’m glad you guys made it back safe and sound!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.